Officers are warning homeowners to lock their garden sheds and garages following seven break ins this year targeting gardening equipment and power tools.
The high number is unusual, however some of the thefts may have been prevented if property had been better secured.
Officers are asking islanders to help prevent further thefts by following some simple steps to become more property security conscious.
“Garden sheds are too often easy targets for criminals,” said Inspector Steve Langford. “This is a great concern to the police because it is clear that shed thefts can be prevented if a reasonable level of security was put in place. We are encouraging people to install good quality locks to all garden sheds and also to property mark their equipment using UV marker pens, paint or engraving.”
To improve security and to reduce the chance of become a victim of crime, please consider the following:
• Record all model and serial numbers of the equipment ie lawn mowers, bicycles, tools, etc on immobilise.com
• Install security lighting in the garden
• Ensure fences/gates are kept in good condition
• Ensure good quality locks are fitted to the shed and are securely locked
• Windows to be fitted with locks
• Property mark all the tools and equipment
• To avoid thieves hiding behind hedges/shrubs – keep them cut back
• Have prickly hedges around the perimeter to make accessibility to the garden difficult
• Consider installing an alarm to the shed
• Consider having gravel paths and drives – this discourages thieves from the garden – as gravel makes a noise
• Ladders to be locked to a post or wall as they could be used for easy access to the home.
If anyone has any information about the break ins, which occurred in the east of island, then please call CID officers on 612200 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111.
You are being redirected to an automatically translated version of the States of Jersey Police website.
Because the translation is electronically generated we cannot give any assurance that it is free of errors or omissions, or that it is an accurate translation of the English text.
A sua chamada vai ser dirigida para uma versão de tradução automátic dos States of Jersey Police website (Estado da Policia de Jersey).
A tradução é eletronicamente generada, nós não podemos garantir de que seja livre de erros e omissões ou de que seja tradução correto do texto Inglês.
Zostales przekierowany do automatycznie przetlumaczonej wersji strony internetowej Policji Stanowej Jersey.
Poniewaz tlumaczenie jest wygenerowane automatycznie nie mozemy zagwarantowac ze jest ono wolne od bledow iprzoczenoraz ze jest precyzyjnym tlumaczeniem angielskiego tekstu.