What do I need to do to get a motorbike?

Motorcyclists and moped riders must be 16 to ride a moped (50cc or below) and 17 to ride a light motorcycle and both must have a licence to ride on the road. New riders must undergo a Compulsory Basic Training (CBT) course before they can drive a moped (50cc) or a light motorcycle (75cc-125cc). If you have been disqualified from riding a heavy motorcycle, you must take the CBT if you want to renew your licence.

The Jersey School of Motorcycling offers CBT courses for beginners. The course costs £136. The group has 8 qualified instructors who share the training duties ranging from CBT to pre-test and advanced courses. Please note bookings may only be made by post. Upon enrolling on the course, take the receipt issued with your payment to your parish hall for a provisional licence.

The CBT certificate is valid for life but you must attempt your theory test before your provisional licence expires (six months from the date of issue). The theory test can be booked by phoning DVS at on 448600 or on line at The practical and theory tests are given at the Driver & Vehicle Standards Department (DVS) in St Helier.
Those wanting to drive a heavy motorcycle must hold a light motorcycle licence for a year.

All mopeds and motorcycles must be registered with Driver and Vehicle Standards, La Collette, St. Helier. Telephone: 448600.

Failure to do so could result in a £2,000 fine or a six-month prison term.
Those riding motorcycles and mopeds must always wear an approved safety helmet and ensure their exhaust systems and silencers are of an approved type. Pillion passengers also must wear an approved type of safety helmet.


Report bad driving / riding

Domestic Abuse

Hate crime reporting

Caught on Camera

How can we help you?