Personal information Access

Subject to certain exemptions, you have a right to be told whether any information is held about you on police systems, and you also have a right to a copy of that information.

Depending on your requirements, and depending on whether you are an individual or a registered organisation, there are a number of different routes you can take to access a Criminal Record history.

Basic Police Disclosure

You may be asked to apply for a Basic Police Disclosure Certificate by any employer/prospective employer.

You can do this on the Disclosure Scotland website at:

Subject Access Request

An individual can apply to find out what information, if any, is held about them on both the local computer systems and the Police National Computer System. 

Disclosure and Barring Service

This is a service for registered organisations not individuals.

The Jersey Vetting Bureau (JVB) is closing on 1st January 2019. To access the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) in the UK, open the link and follow the instructions to the UK DBS site. The DBS facilitates the production of criminal record certificates to empower local employers to make informed and safer recruitment decisions, particularly for occupations involving contact with children and vulnerable groups.

Individuals and the self-employed cannot apply for a DBS check directly.

Police certificates for emigration/visas/work permits/residency

If you need a police certificate to apply for emigration, visas, work permits or residency in certain countries then you must apply for this ACRO Police Certificate directly from the ACRO website.

Previous convictions - Rehabilitation of Offenders (Jersey) Law

If you've been asked about previous convictions for employment reasons, then the Rehabilitation of Offenders (Jersey) Law 2001 may give guidance about this, especially if they are old convictions. You can find a guide to this law on the States of Jersey website, which may help you decide what you should or shouldn't disclose, or whether it can be legally asked of you.

Recruitment of people with a criminal record on States of Jersey website



Report bad driving / riding

Domestic Abuse

Hate crime reporting

Caught on Camera

How can we help you?